Systems Engineer/Systems Administrator with a Public Trust Clearance Level. Background in Linux and Windows administration, proficiency in networking, automation, configuration as code and scripting. Excels at working as part of a team, communication, and bringing new ideas to existing workflows.
• Linux – Administration expertise in SELinux enabled environments, shell scripting, and DISA STIG implementation.
• AWS – Familiarity with automation of EC2, VPC, CloudFront, and Load Balancer Deployments. Creator of custom CloudFormation templates.
• Chef – Creator and Maintainer of enterprise cookbooks, role files, and environment files in numerous domains.
• Ansible – Produced playbooks for DISA STIG implementation, server configuration and updates, and SELinux module installation.
• Zabbix – Formed monitoring templates for servers and services as well as tracked historical data in troubleshooting.
• Windows Server – Deployed ADDS with Custom OUs and Group Policy. Familiarity with MSSQL Administration, Powershell and Light Powershell Scripting.
• Splunk – Configured server log ingestion. Forged alerts and dashboards for service monitoring. Competent usage of Splunk Query Language.
• Virtualization and Containers – Installed and administered ESXi and vCenter servers. Automated ESXi VM Creation via Packer. Maintainer of ProxMox in home lab environment. Fundamental knowledge of Docker.
System Administrator II (August 2019-Present)
Clinical Reference Laboratory, Lenexa, KS
System Engineer – Emerging Technology Services (July 2018-August 2019)
Cerner Corporation, Kansas City, MO
Worked in Emerging Technology Services Team Forge HealtheLife on Patient Portal, Consumer Portal, and other solutions.
• Administered hundreds of Red Hat and Oracle Enterprise Linux 6.9+/7.0+ and Windows Server 2008R2+ Servers.
• Introduced Ansible for running system upgrades, minor configuration changes outside of Chef, and automating other manual tasks
• Crafted Zabbix Templates and Splunk Alerts for monitoring as well as Splunk Queries and Dashboards to monitor service performance and reliability
• Revised Chef and Spinnaker configuration-as-code for automated deployments and OS configuration
• Uplifted internal RabbitMQ Chef cookbook to utilize latest RabbitMQ revisions, as well as wrote BASH wrapper script for automated RabbitMQ shoveling
• Wrote BASH wrapper script for automated SSL certificate acquiring via CloudFormation created ALB and CloudFront stacks
• Maintained other services such as Apache, Nginx, Celery, Tomcat, Gunicorn, and F5 BIG-IP
Summer Client Technology Intern (May 2017-August 2017)
Volkswagen Credit Inc., Libertyville, IL
• Imaged thousands of Laptops and Desktops at a self-managed pace
• Supported end-users with software and hardware troubleshooting
• Replaced end-user laptops, desktops, and monitors, including transferring data
• Managed inventory, Active Directory, and SCCM for new and old devices
Southern Illinois University
• Designed and implemented a mock CCDC Environment including the ESXi host, virtual switching and routing, configured a Palo Alto firewall and an Enterprise Dell Switch for physical switching and routing
• Professor’s Assistant for Enterprise Networking Course – Drafted new labs, fielded technical questions, critiqued student networking diagrams and project proposals
• Designed, implemented, and currently maintain a home lab environment with internal networking (VLANs, IPS, firewall rules), host publicly available webserver, private VPN, HAProxy configuration, DNS and Active Directory
• Configured GitLab Runner that utilizes custom made docker images, packer, kickstart, and govc to automate VM builds when configuration-as-code changes are made for SecurityDawgs CyberStadium
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL
Bachelor of Science: Information Systems Technologies (May 2018)
• Graduated Cum Laude
• Elected as Chief of Infrastructure for Security Dawgs (Cyber-security focused student organization)
• 2017 NCL Fall Split 343rd Individual Placement
• 2017 NCL Fall Split 5th Place Team Member
• 2017 Mid-West CCDC Regional 2nd Place Team Member
• 2018 Illinois CCDC 2nd Place Team Member